Monday 24 September 2012

Quilts and Comfort

This quilt is the one that my grandmother made for me when I was a small child. To many of you, this may seem like a very simple little thing that I own, but to me it's something very special. I have a lot of great memories with this quilt. Everything from sleeping with it as a small child to sharing it with my wife while we watch TV in the evening. I even once used it to warm up one of the victims of a car accident that happened just out in front of our house last winter. It has been a versatile companion for as many years in my life as I can remember.

So personally, I can in a small way understand the importance that a simple quilt can make to an individual.

MCC has a long standing program of sending quilts to children. These are always handmade, and almost always go to children living in orphanages. For many children who are living this way, these quilts become the only personal possession they have. I don't know if any of us can truly understand the difference between having truly nothing, and owning a handmade quilt that keeps you warm and comfortable.

Join us when we help out by knotting quilts at MCC. It's simple and easy, something pretty much everyone can do. If you want to be involved just contact thenetworkchurch@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment