Wednesday 22 October 2014

Giving your best- Have you ever given your best to other people?

For the last few years we have done an annual food drive for Halloween. There's a few reasons we do this. First of all, Halloween is the only night of the year that you can knock on someone's door asking for something and that's what they actually expect! Secondly, and obviously, it's great to remember during a day all about extras that there are people in our community who don't have enough good food to eat. And finally, because it's amazing to see the community around us come together to do something for others.

It's always heartwarming to see so many people in the community going out of their way to support both us, a church they're not connected to, and others. Bags full of great food ready to go, for no other reason other than that it's the right thing to do. Others, who forget, are so often willing to run to their cupboards and grab whatever they can find to contribute to the cause. There seems to be a certain level of generosity that's just inherent to so many people around us.

And so in the end we're left with piles and piles of tuna, canned vegetables, peanut butter, boxed pasta, soup and other non-perishables. And I remember one year looking at the pile, proudly I must say, but still wondering one question: would I ever be able to eat like that?

So I tried it. For an entire week I ate out of a can. Now I bloged about this earlier so I won't spend a lot of time on it, but I did realize one important thing that I want to share for this post: it was terrible! It was dull, it was boring, it was unsatisfying, it was unhealthy.

I think that most normal people want to help others in need. But I think that when it comes to generosity we often have this unspoken thought in the back of our heads. They should be grateful for what we give them, If they need food and I give them something, then who cares if it's not nearly the quality that I enjoy? We all realize that a diet of pasta, soup and tuna is an altogether unsatisfying diet. But they should be grateful anyway. This is due to budget concerns and other practical issues. But the question we need to ask is, "Do I give to others with a sense of superiority to them?"

Now, I'm not suggesting that those who receive the food aren't grateful. In fact, I believe from personal experience that people are most grateful;. But I'm still left with one nagging thought. What if we gave something better? What if we expected for others what we want for ourselves?

Now I completely understand that the kind of food required by the food bank is what it is for good reason. I'm not suggesting that you fill your food bank bags with thick-cut steaks, and fresh vegetables. There's a reason we don't do that. What I am suggesting is that when you fill a food bag this year try to consider, would I want to eat this? Would I want this tuna or that tuna? Would I eat the name brand or the no name? Would I eat the organic natural pasta sauce, or the cheaper stuff? Let's try to give the kind of quality we want for ourselves. That's what the golden rule is all about isn't it?

And we can take this principle and use it in all aspects of our lives. When I give, do I give what I would want for myself? Whether to the guy on the corner, the neighbor in need or the family member we all have.

No comments:

Post a Comment